Frequently Asked Questions – General
For your convenience we have provided a list of answers to common questions about our benefits. Your HR representative may also be able to provide additional information.
Having the right insurance gives you the freedom to live your life instead of worrying about it.
When you purchase our insurance, you can:
- Protect your paycheck
- Plan for the unexpected
- Prepare for illness
- Keep your family healthy
Whether your insurance means enjoying your new baby instead of worrying about bills or focusing on family — not finances — in a time of need, Pierce Insurance is with you every step of the way.
Protection for your income, family and future.
Are you trying to build up your savings?
If you are putting aside money to build a rainy-day fund, to pay off student loans, or even to get a jump start on your retirement savings, you may want to consider disability insurance. Why? If you get hurt or sick and can’t work, disability insurance provides you with a portion of your paycheck once your claim is approved. This cash benefit can help you stay on track with your expenses (e.g., rent, groceries) so you don’t have to rely on your savings alone while you are out of work.
Did you elect a high deductible health plan (HDHP)?
While an HDHP may be a good fit for your current health and medical needs, it’s important to remember that you are responsible for 100% of the costs until you meet your deductible. Accident and critical illness insurance can help you reach your deductible. Here’s how:
- If you have an active lifestyle, an accident could mean doctor appointments, a trip to the ER, an X-ray, or even crutches — all of which can add to out-of-pocket expenses if you haven’t met your deductible. Accident insurance can help you pay for those expenses by paying you a cash benefit for injuries, treatments, and loss once your claim is approved.
- If you’re concerned about being diagnosed with a serious illness or cancer due to family history, critical illness insurance provides a lump sum payment — once your claim is approved — that you can use to help pay for medical or everyday expenses if you were to develop a serious condition.
Do you have student loans or credit card debt?
Though no one wants to think about needing life insurance, it’s an important benefit to consider if you have any debt — especially if you share the responsibility with someone else (e.g., your parents or a spouse). While government student loans — like direct loans or Stafford loans — are typically discharged upon your death, private student loans and credit card debts may require full repayment. Having enough life insurance to cover your student loans, credit card debt, or other loans you may have can help ensure that your financial obligations are covered if anything happens to you.
Although you may not have given insurance much thought, it’s important to take the right steps to evaluate your benefits options so you can protect what — and who — you love.
We specialize in worksite benefits. Check with your employer to see if Pierce Insurance benefits are offered. If you do have Pierce Insurance benefits at work, be sure to access My Benefits for brochures, forms, certificates, videos and helpful links.
- Call center:
North Carolina Retirement Systems 855.627.3847
- 1:1 in-person meetings: Request a 1:1 in-person meeting by calling Pierce Insurance at 800.421.3142, email us, or request a meeting through your HR department
- Group meetings: check with your HR department for your next scheduled group meeting
- On-line enrollment: if available at your place of work
Rates are often more affordable, benefit package is more competitive due to buying power and your premiums are conveniently deducted from your paycheck or pension check.
Yes, in most cases. See your employer for details or call 800.421.3142.